Monday, January 29, 2007

Game?

I have been playing all of my life since I was a little girl. I’ve grown up playing “patentero”, hide- and- seek, “buwan- buwan” and many more. There are only three of us who play these games: my three closest cousins. Since we were at a very young age, we’ve been playing together. We were doing indoor games by the time we we’re in our elementary years: playing doll house or Lego. But as time passed, we’ve learned to play badminton, soccer, “takyan” and volleyball. Now, even though most of us are in the higher years of our education we do not forget those times when we played together. Until now, we play games such as “patentero”, “buwan- buwan”, badminton, volleyball and slipper game.

With the technology we have now, most of the children are already in the internet café playing online games such as RAN Online, Tantra, Audition and many more. Because of that too, I’ve been introduced by my classmates to some of these games such as Audition, RAN Online and Tantra. Now, I’m facing the threats of having to wear glasses all day. It’s not that hard to learn all about these online games because all you have to do is to let your eyes and hands coordinate. There is an advantage on playing computer games. You get to have you hands and eyes coordinate. But proportional to its disadvantage, the disadvantages on playing computer games are more than the advantage side. What I am experiencing now is that I’d have to wear correctional glasses to prevent my eyes from becoming weaker and also to prevent from wearing high graded glasses. Another is that you do not get to spend more time with your friends. And that’s what I have observed on some of my classmates especially the boys when we were in first year. Other than that, you spend too much money. But you know what? I think it is much better if we play the traditional games than to just sit in the internet cafés near our homes and spend a lot of money other than running around and not spending too much.

I have observed that at times now, there are only a few children who are playing the games which used to be enjoyed by us or by our parents and forefathers. It’s as if those games are now in the point of being “extinct”. Now, we’d have to introduce these games to the present generation and to the up coming generations. If not for my classmates who introduced me in these outdoor games, I may be one of those who’d think of the traditional outdoor games as boring. I am glad that through my classmates, I still know how to play the traditional and outdoor games.

In a child’s point in life, they’d have to be taught on our Filipino traditional games. And aside from these, computer games should be regulated because it may affect a person’s way of life and thinking. I may be in my teenage years but it has nothing to do with my playing. A person who is always young at heart will always be young. Now, my question is, game?

No comments: