Sunday, February 4, 2007

Reflection on teachers and teaching

Class records, lesson plans and their terrifying voices especially when they are mad are only some of the things we remember about our teachers. In my own point of view, teaching is not only a profession but also a skill among those who take up the course “Education”. Teaching may be a very tiring job but it can also be very challenging and exciting. I do not understand why some of the public school teachers want a wage increase when their salaries are already very high. Teaching should be something you are dedicated to not just because of the salary you are earning but because you want to teach children. I don’t think some of our fresh graduates from Education ever think about this. Maybe because of the high prices of basic commodities now- a- days that they forget what is the true essence of being a teacher. Teaching may be a very hard job especially when you have all kinds of students in one class. There are students who are very hardheaded, nanning or just some who do not care about their grades as long as they do not fail. Teachers sleep very late at night trying to make their lesson plans and tests for their students.

Just recently, I tried becoming a teacher. At first I was very uncomfortable facing my classmates and teaching them Math A or Advance Algebra. It was already my second year teaching Algebra (actually I taught them Algebra in first year too). I knew it was hard but I also knew I can do it. There’s just a time when you feel like you are being taken for granted by your classmates thinking that you are also a student taking the place of their teacher just for that certain day/s. Now I know how hard it is being a teacher especially when you get to have a very noisy class like II- Benton (LOL). But what’s the magic why teachers don’t easily get mad? Patience. Yes, patience is the answer. It is only patience among the teachers so that they can control the class. That’s what I did during the KYSD or Know Your School Day. To be honest, I’m not a very effective person when it comes to patience. I easily get mad and discouraged. But, for the sake of that day, I controlled my temper, trying to teach only those who want to learn and those who want to listen. Well, it’s not my fault if they do not understand the lesson as long as I knew I was doing the right thing. I just can’t believe it how Madam Nuñez can teach us Advanced Algebra. It’s not at all an easy subject by the way. There are lots of solutions you must come up to and so many things you must do before arriving in an answer.

Therefore, I can say that teachers are also considered as heroes because teaching is not a very easy task. You need to sacrifice and understand for the sake of your students. You must imply patience and encourage students so that it will be easier. But most of all, you must learn to love the profession and also your students to be a bigger influence. It is not only a profession as what I have said, but also a skill teachers should be proud of.

No comments: