Sunday, February 4, 2007

Reflections on Running a School

Within a school are people who are considered to have very high ranks. A school is without their staff. The Prof. Ed. Chairman has the highest rank, followed by the principal and then the assistant to the principal. There is also a clerk to check on the attendance of the students and run errands for the principal. These people are the ones running our school. They are very busy people indeed. They are the ones who sign papers regarding the school, make circulars, roam around to see if the students are doing well in class and see if there are any problems regarding the school and its students. Never the less, they show great effort and capabilities in handling the school. They earn a salute for that because running a very big and high quality education school is not an easy task. Like teachers, they are one of the main structures in a school. The Prof. Ed. Chairman as the roof and the others, including the teachers is the walls that become the support of that house. As what they say, the school is our second home. But, as a tribute to the people who are the main support to the school, the KYSD (Know Your School Day) in the University of the Philippines High School gave these wonderful and respectable people a day off or maybe two days off (LOL) so that they can rest even for only two days.
During these days, I was appointed as the Student Assistant to the Principal. I thought it would be very easy. But I was wrong. I had to go check on everything in school including the janitor, whether he has done his job well and also check on the guard if they were able to close the connection of the water the other night. I never imagined Sir Nellas’ job was like that. But after all those things, I was a bit relaxed because I had nothing to do anymore. It was a bit boring though because after doing all those errands, I had nothing more to do left so I just helped the student clerks (Nympha and Christlyn) in doing their jobs and also had a chat while they were working on things (LOL). I got to take pictures of the student teachers as I roam around the campus (Madam Logarta told me to do so, so I just followed so that I had job to do.). In the second day, I was invited to join the meeting headed by the Student Principals (Ate Gabby and Kuya Dan), both from section Gonzalez. It was a brief discussion and only took a few minutes so we just stayed in the principal’s office for a while and left the room to put he decorations for the closing of the KYSD School Year 2006- 2007.
I realized though that even though I was only given light jobs, it was fun. A very, very tiring job too because it’s not easy roaming around!!! (LOL) And what did I learn? I learned that running a school is never easy. It takes time, effort and discipline to become an effective leader.

No comments: