Sunday, February 4, 2007

Reflections on Being Taught by Students

Learning doesn’t only end in teachers and our parents. We also learn from other students. Sometimes what we learn is good, sometimes bad (LOL). And that is true during the KYSD or Know Your School Day in UP High Cebu. The students are the ones teaching fellow students in specific subject matters such as Math A and B, Social Science, Filipino, English, Chemistry and Biology. During the two day “day off” of the teachers, my fellow students were the ones running the school and teaching their fellow UPians.

I was one of those people who ran the school at that time (actually I was the student assistant principal) and those who taught other students (I was Math A or Advanced Algebra teacher). But most importantly, I was also taught by my co- Benton classmates. I could tell from their actions that they were both nervous and excited.
Sometimes, as I was being taught by my fellow students, I didn’t understand what they were discussing. But there are also times when it’s more fun to have student teachers. I think some of them were just plain nervous maybe because it was their first time to teach their fellow students. But being one of the pupils, I just wished that it was our “Original” teachers who were teaching us because I didn’t get much of what they discussed. It’s okay though. But honestly, I so didn’t get some of the things discussed so I needed the help of other students (like Macky). Well anyway, I thought they also did their best so that we would understand what they were discussing in front. I just observed that some of my classmates were already abusing the student teachers not thinking that the student teachers had somewhat a higher rank than they did during the period. It was the same when we had our real teachers discussing in front. We had seat works and games. As a student, you can’t stop yourself from asking questions related to the discussion by the student teachers. Sometimes it was a hassle especially when the question is out of the topic already. I really find it annoying when someone asks questions too much. The seat works given were easy but I really wanted more challenging examples so that I would’ve understood more. Not that I didn’t like easy questions from them but it was better if they’ve given one or two challenging questions and not rely much on the book they were holding. The room was not the same because of students ho don’t listen to our student teachers. Being their student, I have nothing to say but I did not understand most of the topics they have discussed. But I appreciate their effort in teaching us.

But most importantly, after every discussion, the student teachers were being congratulated by the real teachers. Of course I have thought that it would be better if the teachers were really the ones teaching us so that we would understand more. There are just these times when you don’t really get the matter being discussed because the student teacher doesn’t have much knowledge on what they are discussing. (PEACE to all the student teachers!!!) (^^,)

1 comment:

Elmer Montejo said...

Hello, Nneka! You write quite well. I have a feeling that you are one of those who wouldn't need much supervision because I can feel that you are an independent learner and that you are perceptive. :-) Keep it up.

"I really find it annoying when someone asks questions too much." I, too, get annoyed sometimes by people who ask too many questions. But what do you expect? Intelligent people ask questions. It's not the number of questions that matters but the quality and the depth. Quality over quantity. The real challenge comes when you have a huge quantity of quality questions. ;-)